Christine McKenna remembers Irving and Lily Wright, Hartley's Licensees and Managing Director,

This message came from Christine McKenna, whose Grandfather was Company Secretary and Managing Director at  Hartley's after WW2. 

This is a really evocative account of Christine's visits to the Brewery as a young girl. Our photo shows a much earlier photo of Ulverston Market Cross with the Big Kings - known as the Klondike- in the background.

Many thanks, Christine,


A friend sent me your post regarding gaining information for your project on the brewery.

Both my Grandfather & Mother worked for Hartley's Brewery. My grandparents, Irving & Lily Wright managed Hartley's pubs in Urswick & Flookburgh when my mum was young. Eventually they asked the Brewery to refurbish the Kings Arms Hotel in Ulverston, as it was run down & they managed that for a few years, including during the war, when teachers accompanying evacuated children, were staying with them. 


My Grandfather then worked for the brewery in the offices, as did my Mum eventually. Mum was Secretary to the MD & was exempt from being called up during the war, as he was a liaison officer I think for the troops, so Mum was involved with that work.

At first, my grandfather became Company Secretary & eventually Managing Director  so they moved into Laurel Cottage, across from the Brewery on Hart St. That must have been post war. I remember spending a great deal of time there as a child. I was born in 1956 & went to Church Walk School, so it was handy to go their house. I also used to go after my ballet class on Saturdays & remember going with my brother into the brewery. We would walk across old wooden walkways, between the vats & dip our fingers into the froth. I also remember our Grandfather's office. It was a large room with a big wooden desk. 

I think he must have retired in the early 60s, so left Laurel Cottage & came to live next door to us on Church Fields Ave. The Cooper made a beautiful polished log box for him, made from half a barrel with copper bands. I inherited it later, as we lived in an old house but passed it onto another family member.
Unfortunately my Mum only passed away last August at 96. She would have been able to tell us much more with her wonderful memory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DRUNKEN CATTLE. ERIC SIMPSON'S HISTORY OF HARTLEYS PART 2

Last Orders...for now

David Marshall, Joiner with the Hartley's Building department