From Alan and Anne Bolton

 Anne Bolton came to our first open session at the Market Hall, which seems a very long time ago...

Many of you will know Anne and her husband Alan. He was a Driver at the Brewery till he retired in 2009, and very kindly wrote down some recollections  for us, and supplied the two labels here and a sheet of Hartleys official headed notepaper.

When its possible we'll have a proper talk with Alan, who has a wealth of information about the pub trade in this area, but for now we are very grateful to him and Anne for taking the trouble to write this piece for us and for Anne's own recorded     memories of the Union pub in the 1970's. 

This is the first time we have tried a phone interview, and it  is good to know that the option is available, so thanks again to Anne for going along with us and for an insight into 70's publife that will surprise a lot of younger female listeners...as an addendum I saw Anne briefly and she asked me to remind you that while in the 60's and 70's a lot of pubs would allow you in if you were 18, some would only let you in if you were 21. She remembers the Brewery workers using the Union during the day but reminds us that the pubs would close from 3 to 6 back then, other than on Cattle Market Days when they would open all day. 

https://soundcloud.com/homebrew-heritage/sets/anne-bolton

Here she is with our good friend Nigel Saul... 


Alan James Bolton, Born 21st Jan 1949, Portsmouth Street, Walney.

Parents: Louis and Lily Bolton

Married to Anne. Our family consists of 3 daughters, 11 grandchildren and 5 Great Grandchildren. I also have 2 sisters and 1 brother and 1 adopted brother.

"My Mum was mainly a housewife, my Father worked at the Brewery in the1960's and was employed as a Driver / Drayman. He was also a relief Landlord for the Snipe Pub in Barrow in Furness ( This has now been demolished) and also the Lowther Arms at Halsingham, Whitehaven.

My parents then became landlord and landlady of the Union Inn in Union Street in Ulverston until his sudden death in January 1975.With my help my mother continued there for a further year. As I was also still working for the Brewery at the time we decided to finish there. My wife Anne also assisted us.

At first my home was in Kirkby In Furness where I attended school. The family then moved to Ulverston where I first attended Church Walk school, followed by Lightburn School in Argyle Street and finally Victoria Secondary School on Hart Street, which is now houses and flats.

I worked for British Rail at the goods yard in Princes Street Ulverston, as this closed in 1969 I was made redundant. This is now the Mercedes Garage. My job at the Brewery was a Driver / Drayman. I started as a drivers mate, but as I could drive I soon was driving. As my father already worked there he suggested I apply as I had been made redundant from my previous job. Also, my fathers friend John Titterington worked there and knew me so I guess that's how I got the job.

I started at the Brewery in September 1969 and took early retirement due to ill health in march 2009.

The Brewery was a busy place in the 70's, there were 4 delivery wagons which dropped to 3 latterly. We had a 3 week delivery rota., Ulverston – Barrow, the Kendal area, Flookburgh- Lancaster, Lakes and Coniston, and Millom and areas up the coast, 2 wagons did this and went up the motorway to Carlisle. Once Robinsons took over we also went to Blackpool and Fylde Coast, Lincoln, Newcastle and Edinburgh.

The working day commenced at 2am and finished at 4.30.

The first job was to check the wagon, i.e. oil. water. tyres. diesel etc. Then we loaded up, put the barrels bottles etc in areas on the wagon. Then we delivered and collected empties, these were taken back the the Brewery.

My first drivers mate was Buck Graham, my fathers friend., and also I was with John Titterington who drove till I was 21 and them I was able to drive myself. My last mate was Gary Timms who himself was also a driver.

They are the names of who also were on wagons. Apologies if I've missed anyone out. Some men only stayed a short period of time...A lot of students were taken on at busy times, who only stayed on during their holidays.

Jess Pelter, Frank Toal, Stephen Gilpin, John Vernon ( deceased) Dennis Porter, David Wilson, Ken McCracken Mickey Clark (all deceased),Brian Postlethwait, John Athersmith, George Troughton, Mike Harrison, Ken Kitchen, Russell Babbs, Ronnie Hill, Graham Waddecar. We all got on well, and were good mates and had a lot of laughs.

I got on well with the management. It was a good place to work, hence me being there nearly 40 years. We all knew each other and seemed to get on well.

Ulverston was a very busy place and there were a lot more pubs then. Thursday was a particularly busy day as it was cattle market day. A lot more people would be around the town, pubs were very busy then. I only went out once weekly , on a Friday to play darts which I enjoyed."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DRUNKEN CATTLE. ERIC SIMPSON'S HISTORY OF HARTLEYS PART 2

Last Orders...for now

GEORGE AND JENNY WINDER REMEMBERED BY THEIR SON PAUL